Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mission Statement

Recursion has an innately haunting nature. In Sri Lanka, rumors of back-alley kidnappings and muffled massacres resonate like white noise - hard to ignore, but at the same time completely incomprehensible. Two weeks ago assailants on motorcycles killed the editor of the Sunday Leader. In an almost identical attack on Friday, Upali Tennakoon, the editor of another independent newspaper, and his wife were stabbed multiple times. Higher powers asphyxiate the truth with little tact, but they have no need to be discreet.

From Black Sand Journal
The overdose of corruption and unbridled tyranny that causes Sri Lanka to froth at the mouth is what first inspired me to pursue journalism. But New York is proving to be quite the distraction. The city has the unique capacity to feel like home to an abundantly diverse group of individuals. Lion Beer readily available at a store a few blocks away, I've fallen in love with cheap Greek food in Astoria, I find the 24 hour subway system unbelievably convenient (granted, sometimes the late night 6 is a grimy bitch), jazz clubs and secluded bars are not in short supply, and my eyes still widen at the sight of an illuminated Empire State Building.

The philosophy of "I want to dedicate my life to people, but I don't have the strength to devote myself to a single person," doesn't fall at all in line with my strong affection for New York or my tendency to develop deeply personal (often emotionally dependent, and sometimes inappropriate) friendships. These inclinations aren't ideal for someone who wants to be an objective reporter in the lawless, war-torn regions of the world. News from Sri Lanka still upsets me - it is why I am writing this post - but the fuss is so far away from my Manhattan apartment. The poverty and exploitation that led me to study journalism in New York starkly juxtapose the happiness I've experienced while doing so. I don't think it is possible to reconcile the two, which leaves me with an unpleasant ultimatum.

I would like to end this haphazard post with a question to current or former non-resident Sri Lankans. How do you feel about what is going on back home when you aren't at the heart of it? By choosing not to live on the island do you feel as though you've given up on our country? Please comment and let me know what you think. It doesn't matter if I know you or not, or whether this is the first time you've stumbled upon my blog. I would really value some insight.

3 comments:

Roshana Vander Wall said...

Suri, I woulnd't say that ex-pats/former residents etc. have "given up" on the country perse, but there is a sense of utter hopelessness. The ones with power are no longer the "elite" but those with weaponry and the audacity to use it for selfish gains. As you stated, Those who have the "power" do little to conceal their means that allow them to arrive at their ends. What good are we without the ability to fairly combat these monsters? The cries of pain the country makes resound through out the worlds of those who've loved her but we find ourselves powerless to end her suffering.

Gehan said...

im back in lanka now, but i spent 5 years studying in India.. when i was there, i would here most of the news from my parents when they called, but it always sounded the same.. bomb blast, suicide bomber, army, security, politician - all these words immediately trigger the 'off' switch upstairs...

now when i look back i wonder if i WAS uncaring, but it's more likely the utter hopelessness of the situtation.. honestly, only divine intervention can save us now...

Mike said...

Suri, I think that journalism is the way to sort through that white nosie. To change it from a blur of sound into a human voice. Although I am not a Sri Lankan, I still don't know if empathy and happiness are at odds in writing.