Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bluffs

I play plenty of poker. My style of betting is considered very unconventional - I am not at all risk-averse. I play for pride, not money. If the player across from me is tossing black and green chips like salad, I'll match till one of us is forced to bite the.... carrot (sorry, wanted to avoid mixed metaphors). I play to seed self-doubt in the minds of my opponents. The cards I'm dealt don't matter - if I'm feeling particularly adventurous, I won't even look at them. I love to bluff, because it falls in line with my belief that confidence is everything. There is nothing more entertaining than winning on an Ace high, knowing my opponent gave up the pot on three Queens.
From Black Sand Journal

But I believe I have met my match. Someone who doesn't even try to mimic my style - a person who understands you can't fight fire with fire. Someone who knows my tell and can play out my bluffs to the point of my humiliation. Even when I've got all the cards, this particular individual knows the moment to walk away from the table, and I'm left with no pride to cash in. It vexes me. Now I'm not sure how to approach the game. Should I compromise my style, or not bother playing at all?

A common aphorism in poker is "you play the player, not the cards." I have always held that to be true, but I'm beginning to reconsider the extent to which it is. Ultimately my goal should be to take home the most money, not fuck with everyone's head. But winning on a phenomenal hand doesn't satisfy me because I'm not interested in luck. I rather be what is phenomenal, not the cards. I rather be good than lucky any day of the week.

But those are not the laws that govern poker, I am just able to manipulate people into playing my variation of the game instead. Now I've met someone who isn't fooled, who sees the real prize and realizes that the path I coax people into following only leads them further away from it. It doesn't make a difference if I go all in on this bluff or not, I've already lost.

5 comments:

Roshana Vander Wall said...

Sinning again. I love Pride. Of all the sins it is the most useful for manipulation of an individual.

Sach said...

WOW!
I love Poker too and play a lot too, but mostly on FB since I don't have many around me who play the game. I used to play with my friends at the University, ALL THE TIME!

So I assume you play Texas Hold 'em right?
Well, I agree with you when you say that nothing gives a pleasure more than when you win a hand with A high. Well, maybe with 7 high when you have 7,2 hand...
But the thing is, the golden rule of poker, I think is you should know when to fold. Playing for pride, I dunno, maybe not the wisest thing... LOL... If you keep raisin just for the sake of it... you are bound to hit a wall sooner or later and I see you have!

Maybe that guy is really good at reading cards and reading players. Maybe you should try the same...

And man, we should play sometime together! I would love to...
So if you don't mind drop me a request at FB. It's in my blog...

Cheers and good luck to you!
Beat the bugger next time!

Suri said...

Hmmm... that's a very literal interpretation....

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Suri. Your writing is always so effortlessly sophisticated. I don't know the first thing about poker but all the same, I know exactly what you mean when you're talking about that person who can see right through the game you play.

And yes. We need to talk.

Gypsy.

Mike said...

You were right. I really did need to read this to talk about it later. Wonderfully written. Abd you did always say you'd rather be good than lucky despite what some people may say