Monday, March 16, 2009

Missing Words

From Black Sand Journal


Midterms week put this blog into a near fatal coma, so I better start the resuscitation now that spring break has finally arrived.

One morning (well, technically afternoon) this week, I woke up and glanced at my arm, saw that my tattoo was not there - yelped! - then realized once consciousness settled in that I was looking at the wrong arm. I've probably spent too much time gazing adoringly at my tattoo (you know, after figuring out left from right). My eyes are repeatedly seduced by the embossed lettering - an affect that will wear off once my skin fully heals. I think I've outdone myself with this subcultural narcissism.

I'm fairly certain not everyone who sees my tattoo will be as smitten with it. I just emailed my mother and I am nervously awaiting her reply. A few friends have expressed their reservations about the particularly exposed location. My tattoo is hard to hide, but that is kind of the point. This wasn't an act of rebellion; I got these 14 letters tattooed on the inside of my left forearm with only the intention of staying faithful to myself. My response to people who have a problem with who I choose to be will never involve conforming to their image of what is acceptable. To anyone who feels the urge to chastise me for my tattoo, my only reaction will be a slight shrug of my shoulders, a quick flash of my smile, and perhaps a subtle roll of my eyes.

Walking through Alphabet City yesterday afternoon, I felt compelled to lower my gaze to the ground and delightfully discovered the words "Obedience Is Not Patriotism" stenciled in black on the pavement. How resonantly true - obedience shouldn't be an element of identity in which anyone takes pride.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Shrugging off criticism is the best reaction. If should be inate. If it is not, then you did it for the wrong reason. With my own tattoo experiences, it is OK to argue their value, which I have at times because of a burning passion for them, but in the end you can never say it is your loss if they don't understand. Whether it is their loss or not is inconsequential.

Gehan said...

im not a huge fan of tattoos myself.. i think it takes a lot of skill and wisdom to choose the right tattoo and the right area etc...

honestly tho? i think urs is great.. it isnt too obvious, and u could hide it if da need arises.. either way, i doubt its somethin ur mom will have too much grief about.. :)

T said...

i love the meaning and sentiment behind your tattoo.

Roshana Vander Wall said...

Below, in order to post this comment it says "Choose an identity". You are displaying yours openly in what is still deemed an unconventional way. I think it's very admirable.

P.S
Don't forget to give your mother a coronary with bigger news in case she doesn't take well to the idea. hehe. X

Suri said...

@Mike - I miss you, we really need that Monday night at Irving
@Gehan and T - thanks
@Sha - HA!! Best inside joke ever

In the photo, there is a big chuck of the script missing because someone installed a door, but there words I can read are, "to friend... your wealth do... love enough with me... tragedy claim how... beauty distracts."

Anyone care to fill in the blanks?