Monday, March 23, 2009

A Blossom Fell

From Black Sand Journal
I felt nostalgic this morning. I put on some Nat King Cole to cheer myself up after three measly hours of sleep. Until the age of four, my Dad used to slow dance to Nat King Cole in the living room as I slipped into sleep on his shoulder. It is tragically appropriate that the song 'A Blossom Fell' conjures up the most vivid memories of those early childhood nights.
From Black Sand Journal
I don't have the right to reveal too many details about my family's checkered past, but when my insecurities get the best of me I wonder to what extent my relationships are doomed by the fact I grew up without role models who completed or complimented each other. I'm not quite sure I know any better than to be an ostensibly strong individual, who can do little more than paper over gaps in the relationships I have been involved with that too often have not been mine own.
From Black Sand Journal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A blossom fell, and pretty soon
I saw you kissing someone new beneath the moon...

I love that song. Suri, contrary to popular belief, one is not completely defined by one's family (Although it scarily seems like that sometimes). You are your own person and you will figure things out on your own. That's the most any of us can hope for. I love you :)

Roshana Vander Wall said...

Suri, if I might echo what the qypsy says, you are a strong, beautiful girl and you know these things. I've met your parents, and while you might not have seen them together while you were growing up, you've gotten the best parts of them. You've got your mother's spirit and your father's intelligence (and humor, ;) hehe). I love you my girl!